Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

History > Industry > Cotton > Mills after 1877

GREAT HARWOOD

Cotton Mills after 1877
( after the railway )

The arrival of the loop line from Blackburn to Brierfield heralded another round of mill building.

 

St. Hubert's Mill, Cambridge Street.

Erected in 1880 close to the railway station by the Great Harwood Commercial Company. It had 540 looms in 1881 increasing to 756. 420 people were working there in the early 20th century. Closed in 1930 the mill was used for storage. Between 1967 and 1974 part of the site was used by footwear manufacturers then, after major reconstruction in 1973, reverted to warehousing.

 

advert for Prospect Mill, Great Harwood

 

 

 

Prospect Mill, Curate Street.

Built in the centre of town in 1880-81 by J & D Kemp, then lessees of Wellington Mill, with 760 looms. Closed during 1914 - 18 it was reopened with less than 400 looms and cotton manufacture ceased under Government re-organisation of the industry in 1959-60. The mill was then used for the manufacture of plastics and vinyl footwear components. Fire destroyed the factory in 1964 manufacturing moving to Albert Mill. Bought by Great Harwood U. D.C. the site is now a car park.

 

Albert Mill, St. Hubert's Street.

Constructed in 1888 by the Albert Mill Building Company Ltd. and leased to the Great Harwood Commercial Company operating 760 looms with about 200 employees. Closed in 1932, reopened 1935 and weaving ceased in 1959. Bought in 1963 by the owners of Prospect Mill and turned over to plastics production.

 

York Mill or Union Mill, Balfour Street.

The town's largest weaving shed built in 1891-92 by the Great Harwood Union Mill Building Co Ltd. Originally to house 760 looms it was extended to 1,050. Limited operation after 1930 and closed in 1934 to be demolished soon after.

 

advert for Deveron Mill, Great Harwood

 

 

 

 

Deveron Mill, Meadow Street.

A weaving shed built by the Deveron Mill Building Co. in 1899 next to the railway line and leased to James Boardman and J W Baron, partners of the Wellington Mill Co. Holding 798 looms the mill suffered prolonged closures during the 1930s but in 1956 there were still 684 looms running and 300 employees. Production continued into the 1980s with approximately 240 looms.

 

 

 

Palatine Mill office building
Original office buildings of Palatine Mill

 

 

 

Palatine Mill, Meadow Street.

Boardman and Baron's second mill constructed in 1903 on similar lines to Deveron Mill. 798 looms and 300 employees in 1910. Operations were run down during the 1960s and turned to garment manufacture after 1966. Closed in 1976 the factory was then used for warehousing.

advert for Boardman and Baron, Great Harwood

advert for Boardman and Baron 2

Waverledge Mill and Premiier Mill #3
Waverledge Road. Waverledge Mill right, Premier Mill No 3 left.

 

Waverledge Mill, Waverledge Street.

Boardman and Baron's third weaving shed built in 1905 housing 1026 looms. Spasmodic production during the 1930s the mill was used by the British Aircraft CO during 1939 - 45. Re-opened after the war a dye works was added but the mill was closed 1959-60. After a spell being used for storage it was sold in 1964 and became a crisp factory it now houses retail outlets.

advert for OXO

Premier Mill No. One, Arthur Street.

Established in 1907 by the Mutual Mill Building Co. and complete in 1908. Leased to the Premier Mill Co. who ran 816 looms. Closed in 1933 but reopened in 1937 cotton manufacture came to an end in 1960 and the premises were bought by OXO who already owned the adjacent ...........................

Premier Mills #1 and #2
Faded but still visible. No. 1 is left No. 2 right (east).

Premier Mill No. Two, Hartley Street.

Again built by the Mutual Mill Building Co. and run by the Premier Mill Co. and housing 812 looms. Weaving continued until 1938 after which the building was taken over by OXO.

Northern lights of Premier #2
Northern Lights of No. 2. Each ridge tops a row of north facing windows.

After failing to win approval for its plans to develop the Record Mill site in the town OXO relocated and both mills were closed by the end of 1992.

November 2007 and the bridge has gone.
Demilition of Premier Mills 1 and 2
and to the west so has Premier Mill No1.
rubble on site of Premier Mill #1

 

Premier Mill No. Three, West Street.

Built in 1914-15 by the Premier Mill Co. it had 953 looms. A second weaving shed was added in 1961 and production continued into the 1980s with 444 looms and 338 employees.

Premier Mill #3 from Harwood Moor

The white roofs are Premier Mill No. Three and its extension. The grey area to the left is the roof of Waverledge Mill.

advert for Thompson Ltd, Premier Mills, Great Harwood

part two of advert for Thompson Ltd

Record Mill, Empire Street.

The last textile mill built in Gt. Harwood. Construction was begun in 1914 by the Lower Darwen Investment Co. but completion was delayed by the 1914 - 18 war and weaving began on 600 looms in November 1919. Closed in 1931 the mill gained the "dubious distinction of having the shortest cotton manufacturing history in the area". It was reopened in 1937 but as an artificial silk factory. Production ended in 1959 after which the mill was occupied by several companies. OXO bought the mill in 1976 with the intention of developing the site however planning permission could not be obtained leading to the company moving production out of Gt. Harwood completely.

 

Map of mills

 

History > Industry > Cotton > Mills after 1877

 

Sources

Industrial Heritage: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Gt Harwood; M Rothwell, Hyndburn Local History Society,. 1980. THE source for all figures, dates.

People and Places in Great Harwood, Louie Pollard. Pages 22, 23
A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard. Page 19
Festival of Britain Programme, "Our Town", 1951. Page 43, 64 and the advertisements.

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.