Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

Places > Buildings > Religious

GREAT HARWOOD

Places of worship

The Parish Church of St. Bartholomew

Old Church, Great Harwood

 

The "OLD CHURCH"

This is, at least, the third church on the site. Documentary evidence of its existence begins in 1335 but its history possibly goes back another 100 years or more.
A fire in the 15th century left only the tower standing but the nave was rebuilt in the 16th century. The heavy, oak beamed ceiling appears too finely worked to have been meant for what was then a country church.
Parish Registers start in 1547.

Old Church, modern photo
Photo Frank Cottier

The photograph above was taken before 1881 when
the nave was lengthened and the chancel added.

 

The porch has stone seats, oak beams and a fine, old, heavy, nail-studded door.

 

Very much the same building but with the extension and additional street furniture.

Old Church across the grave yard
View from the north across the landscaped graveyard.

Photo of old vicarage, Great Harwood

 

 

 

 

 

This house was built in 1789 for the curate of Great Harwood but the building and land was sold to the Cooperative Society after a new vicarage was built in 1902.

Butts Chapel, Great Harwood

Butts Chapel

John Mercer built four houses in Delphi Road with this chapel above. The congregation had to climb two flights of steps from Delph Road before another access was made from Commercial Road which required them to climb only one flight.
During its existence this little chapel hosted :
1822 The Wesleyan Society.
1854 United Free Methodists.
1873 Working Men's Club and Weavers' Union.
1881 St. John's Mission Church of England followed by the Gospel Mission then the Spiritualist Church.
1960 The Salvation Army.
It has now been demolished.

Drawing of original Congregational Church, Great Harwood

Congregational Church

 

The first meeting place for Congregationalists was a room above a shop in Queen St. By 1837 this church had been built with open spaces for use by the Sunday School until the school was built behind the church in 1856.

The Sunday School became a full time school in 1866 then removed to Barnmeadow Lane in 1879.

Photo of original Congregational Church, Great Harwood

Congregational Church after demolition

 

 

Seemingly run down this photograph may have been taken not long before the building was demolished and a new church (below) built in 1888.

 

 

 

New Congregational Church, Great Harwood

 

The church was taken over by E. T. Birtwistle and Sons Ltd., Funeral Directors and only a small part of the building remained.

2010

 

 

 

Further development meant the last piece of the church was taken for retail units.

Wesleyan Chapel, Great Harwood

 

Wesleyan Chapel

 

A split in the Wesleyan Society had left one section homeless and in 1853 they built the Methodist Chapel on Commercial Road.

Mount Zion, Cattle Street was built in 1863 when Butts Chapel became too small for the congregation but it was demolished long ago.

Orchard St. Primitive Methodist Church

 

 

Orchard Street Church

The Primitive Methodists built their first church in Mercer Street in 1865 called Jubilee Chapel. Then in 1898 they built a school in Orchard Street. The congregation moved to the school from the Mercer Street chapel which became a social club before being demolished.

Our Lady and St. Hubert's Roman Catholic Church

St Huberts Rd. Great Harwood

steeple against sunrise
Image from Peter Eddleston

St Hubert RC Church


 

St. Hubert's Road frames the church against the East Lancashire hills.

Built at his own expense by Mr James Lomax, Lord of the Manor, in 1859.

Russel Place Methodist Church, Great Harwood

Russell Place Methodist Church

The Methodist Chapel in Commercial Road became too small so on land bought just up the hill at Russell Place a new church and school were built in 1885.

Russel Place aka Central Methodist

King St entrance

 

 

 

 

The church became too expensive to maintain, was demolished, and space within the school was converted.

 

 

The ACME Youth Club met here.

St Johns Iron Church

 

St. John's, Church of England

 

As the population continued to grow a new Anglican church was needed.
St. John's Mission, based at Butts Chapel, first built a school in 1889 then St. John's "Iron Church", St. Hubert's Road, was opened 1st April 1899.
Constructed from corrugated iron this building served the church until the new stone building was consecrated in 1912.

St Johns, St Huberts Rd

St Johns church, Great Harwood
The doorway shown is to the Vestry and is where we choristers entered.

 

 

 

 

This was my church. I was a choir boy here which some people find difficult to believe. It was a "nice" church.

 

partially demolished St Johns
Photo from Paul Wilkinson

 

 

 

 

 

Three years short of 100 and the foundations at the eastern end were found to be too expensive to repair and work began on dismantling the church.

Baptist Chapel, Great Harwood

 

 

James Barlow Memorial School Chapel

 

9th September 1903 and the Baptists moved from the house in School Street where they had held meetings to their new home in Charles Street.
The chapel was demolished in 1969 and the land is now a small park.

Windsor Rd Wesleyan Chapel

 

Windsor Road Wesleyan Chapel

Formed as a daughter church of Mount Zion in 1903 the building was taken over by OXO who built a boiler house on the site.


Eventually the Mount Zion and Windsor Road congregations joined with the Russell Place Methodists who had demolished their church and moved into the refurbished school.

St Wulstans Tin Church

 

St. Wulstan's R. C. Church

Also in 1912, to cater for the increasing R. C. population, St. Wulstan's temporary, corrugated iron "Tin Church" was opened on Rushton St.

 

St Wulstans, Great Harwood

 

 

 

 

 

The "temporary" structure was replace in 1936 by the present church.

These were the churches in 1951
list of Great Harwood churches in 1951

United Reformed Church, Great Harwood

 

 

 

United Reformed Church
Barnmeadow Lane

Originally built as the British School in 1879 much of it was destroyed by fire in 1973.

Red brick mosque, Great Harwood

 

 

 

As in much of the Christian World church attendance has fallen (and I'm in no position to criticise) but another building has been given a new lease of life. Immigrants from the Indian subcontinent who came to work in the cotton mills converted the Emmanuel Free Church of England, Segar Street into their Mosque in 1994.

Pentecostal Police Station

 

 

Pentecostal Church

A church with cells (so I'm told) . Originally this was the Police Station, Police Street but not only has it changed use it's changed address now it's in Townhall Street.

Spiritualist Church, Great Harwood

 

 

 

 

The new Spiritualist Church on Clayton Street.

St Edmund St mosque

 

 

 

 

 

A nice mixing of religions here.

This mosque is on the corner of Park Street and St. Edmund Street.

Map of Churches

 

Places > Buildings > Religious

 

Sources

Old Harwood, Louie Pollard and Harry E. Eaton, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1973. Pages 1, 13, 16, 21, 22.
Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Pages 109, 112
People and Places in Great Harwood, Louie Pollard. Pages 5, 9, 24, 25, 29.
A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard. Pages 4, 8, 11, 12, 46.
1066. Great Harwood from William the Conqueror to the Millennium, Louie Pollard, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1999. Pages 4, 16, 17, 23, 25 27.
Festival of Britain Programme, "Our Town", 1951. Pages 9, 15 - 17.

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2014

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.