Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

Places > Buildings > Pubs > 1860 - 1870

GREAT HARWOOD

PUBLIC HOUSES 1860 to 1870

 

Walmesley Arms, Great Harwood

Walmesley Arms

On the corner of Queen Street and Barnmeadow Lane this had been a farmhouse occupied at some time by Robert Smith builder of Wellington Mill. One of its buildings is dated 1788 but with mills strung along the streams in the centre of town it was adapted to another, perhaps more profitable, use. Above the door is the coat of arms of the Walmesleys of Dunkenhalgh.

Here with the Mathew Brown sign it is now another Scottish and Newcastle house.

Commercial Hotel, Great Harwood

 

 

 


Commercial Hotel

Built in 1865 The Commercial was the first purpose built pub since the Lomax Arms. Close to Delph Road it meant that the Crab Tree Inn at Butts was deemed no longer necessary and it lost its licence.

With its high ceiling and large windows the Commercial has a different "feel" to the older pubs and has, as yet, retained its games and smoking rooms.

 

Weavers Arms Great Harwood

 

 

 

Weaver's Arms

Listed in the 1865 Directory as :
Edwin Dugdale, retailer of beer,
Cross Gates.

A small, cozy, pub.

Stop and Rest

Stop and Rest Great Harwood

As the roof line shows these cottages were built at different times mostly during the early nineteenth century. Called Edge End they were on the edge of Harwood Moor and even with recent housing developments they are still set apart from the rest of the town.
In 1864, however, this area was busy with traffic to and from Edge End Quarry which the Local Board had taken over to supply materials for the paving and sewering of the town. Geoffrey Taylor saw the opportunity and applied to the Local Board to alter two houses at the right hand end and erect an additional building. Plans were approved and the Stop and Rest beer-house was opened in 1866 though it and those houses are now long gone.

Edge End Great Harwood

 

Church Street Tavern, Great Harwood

 


Church Street Tavern

The 1870 Directory, in addition to the other ale-houses, lists :
Ainsworth Chew, beer retailer, 28 Church Street.

 

Pub Map

 

Places > Buildings > Pubs > 1860 - 1870

 

Sources

Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Passim
A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard. Pages 18, 22
1066. Great Harwood from William the Conqueror to the Millennium, Louie Pollard, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1999. Page 18

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.