Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

Places > Buildings > Pubs > after 1870

GREAT HARWOOD

PUBLIC HOUSES AFTER 1870

The arrival of the railway loop line in 1877 gave a new impetus to the town,
new mills were built and their workers offered new opportunities for brewers.

 

 

Royal Hotel

Daniel Thwaites of Blackburn applied for and was granted a licence for a new hotel which was built in 1879 close to the new railway station on what was to become Station Road.

The railway didn't last a hundred years but the Royal is still there.

 

 

Merrie England, Great Harwood

 

 

Merrie England

New houses were being erected for the still increasing population and with the construction of St. Hubert's Road the Merrie England was built in 1888 on the corner of Clayton Street.

 

The system of tied houses was spreading and Alfred Nuttall of Little Harwood was taking over the pubs of Great Harwood. In 1894 he bought The Plough and The Lomax and the next year The Old Billy, Dog and Otter and Queen's Head. The 1895 purchases seem not to have been good investments as all three were condemned by the licensing magistrates in 1903 but at the same time Nuttall applied for licences to build two new pubs one on Park Road the other in the St. John's area.
Local ministers, leading citizens and the temperance societies objected and a protest meeting was called where the chairman announced

"The people of Great Harwood do not require or ask for new pubs and it is in the
best interest of landlord and brewer that the people of England should be sober".

When the licensing magistrates met it was stated that there were twelve pubs, two beer houses and three off-licences in the town but the opposition said that there were also licensed clubs to add to the numbers. The magistrates pointed out that the ratio of pubs to people was 1 - 700 which compared very favourably with other places and ruled that the new pubs could be built but Nuttall had to surrender the licences for The Queen's, The Old Billy and two off-licences. The Dog and Otter was reprieved and Alfred Nuttall built the last two pubs in Great Harwood.

Park Hotel

The Park also had a bowling green at one time.
Park Hotel black and white

Park Hotel, Great Harwood

Another that has had some interior walls removed.

 

Victoria Hotel aka Butcher Brig

 

Victoria Hotel

At the bottom of St. John Street, across what used to be the railway line the Victoria, or Butcher Brig, is almost "intact".

More of The Butcher

 

Cemetery Hotel or Lidgett

 

Cemetery Hotel

Not included in Great Harwood histories as it is just over the the Lidgett Brook in Rishton. However as it is about a mile to Rishton and only a few yards to Great Harwood it has always been regarded as an Arrod pub.

Across the road from THE cemetery it was originally called The Lidgett Hotel, the name of the brook and the area, and eventually the name was revived. Despite facelifts its position on the very edge of town seems to have added to the difficulties faced by other pubs and it became Harwood's Dining Rooms, a licensed restaurant, and now a children's nursery.

 

Pub Map

 

Places > Buildings > Pubs > after 1870

 

Sources

Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Page 48

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.