Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

Places > Buildings > Pubs > to 1860

GREAT HARWOOD

PUBLIC HOUSES 1800 to 1860


Dog and Otter

In 1805 Thomas Hindle leased 340 square yards of land at Cliffe to build the Dog and Otter. He paid Sir Thomas Dalrymple Hesketh £100 and £1 8s 4d per year ground rent. As the Old Billy was just down the road Thomas must have felt there was enough traffic struggling up the Cliffe to warrant another ale-house.

In the early 1800s John Mercer, Arrod's most eminent man, helped to found a choir and they may have practiced here.

Modern Dog and Otter

Dog and Otter, Great Harwood

Another pub which has had internal walls knocked down, so losing its flag floored vault.

History of The Dog and Otter

 

Lomax Arms

In 1819 Sir Thomas Dalrymple Hesketh sold all of the Upper Town to Richard Grimshaw Lomax making him owner of almost all Great Harwood.

Lomax Arms, Great Harwood

Yet another to suffer renovation the Lomax has managed to keep some of its internal walls and pub atmosphere.

In 1825 E. Baines published his History and Directory of the County Palatine of Lancaster where
all Great Harwood's ale-houses and their keepers were recorded for the first time. They were :

The Cock
Queen's Head
Cross Axes
Grey Horse
Dog & Otter
Lomax Arms

..................
..................
..................
..................
..................
..................

John Kitchen
Robert Pilkington
Lawrence Rushton
Richard Loynd
John Sourbutts
Ann Calvert

In the 1841 census there were the same ale-houses and two beer-houses.
One was the Crabtree Inn at Butts in Delph Road the other was "in the village".

The Blackburn and District Directory of 1855 shows no change in the number of
ale-houses in Great Harwood but there are two additions in the 1858 publication.

 

Wellington Hotel

This was built as a large private house built in 1801 by Adam Dugdale benefactor of the local poor.
Having suffered many internal "improvements" over the years the renovation of 1998/9 has produced a pub with real character.

Old Wellington Hotel   Duke of Wellington, Great Harwood

Originally called The Wellington Hotel after the renovation it became The Duke of Wellington.

 

Plough Inn 1900

Plough Inn

Shown here in the early 1900s The Plough must have provided a different atmosphere to the later purpose built pubs.


First licensed in 1854 it was for many years after still a working farm with attached farm buildings and was well placed to serve the Britannia, Victoria and Park mills.

 

Whit Walk, Great Harwood

 

 

 

This picture was taken around 1930 or maybe earlier as Nuttall's of Little Harwood was bought by Matthew Brown in 1927 which in turn was swallowed by Scottish and Newcastle. There is an old barn to the left with advertising hoardings covering its walls, there has been extensive remodelling of the frontage and the building has been extended to the right.

The Plough 1940

 

 

 

The barn has been demolished by 1940 but there was a bowling green in regular use in local league games into the 50s.

 

 

The Plough, Great Harwood

 

 

 

 

Another pub where renovation has meant losing separate rooms although it could have been worse.
The bowling green is now a garden with a children's play area.

 

Pub Map

 

Places > Buildings > Pubs > to 1860

 

Sources

Old Harwood, Louie Pollard and Harry E. Eaton, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1973. Pages 8, 11
Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Passim
A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard. Page 49

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.