New Library, Queen Street

 

Queen Street, March 2005

 

 

 

 

 

Britannia Mill, Queen Street

Built by John and Robert Clayton Mercer and Joseph Haydock in 1849-50 at first it was leased out but the builders took over the running of the mill in 1854. The mill closed in 1869 but reopened in 1878 and then after intermittent production in the early 1930s finally closed in 1933. It was bought by the Urban District Council in 1937 and demolished. Eventually a nursery and a library were built on the site these too being demolished to make way for the Co Op and the new library.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 



Britannia Mill, Queen Street


Queen Street, 20th May 1940.