The Swain family were in Great Harwood from around 1720 and descendants lived at Butts Farm, which later became known as Swain Fold and is behind what is now the Wellington Public House. Access then was from the bottom of Delph Road, but it is now from the end of Edward St.
husband, James, was running the farm in 1841 but he died in an accident
in 1847. Margaret isn't in the 1851 census for Great Harwood as she
was visiting a daughter in Accrington on that day but in that entry
she is listed as a farmer of 46 acres. David Swain, farmer of 40 acres,
is living at Butts with his wife and his younger brother, Jesse. Whether
Margaret and David are referring to the same land isn't clear. Up Delph
Road at Stopes was another brother Elisha, an agricultural labourer
perhaps working the family lands.
By 1861 Elisha
has taken over the house, now also 19 Delph Road, and is farming 28
acres. Jesse is still living there too. Margaret was now living in Accrington
and David had bought a butcher's shop in Oswaltwistle